At Home Yoga Space
Yoga space uses:
- 5 – 10 sun salutations upon first waking up to awaken & energize the body.
- Light stretching before bed to quiet the mind and relax the body.
- A yoga practice of any kind – it’s your studio so anything goes!
- Practice pranayama (breathing) exercises.
- Read books, write in a journal, reflect on the day or week ahead.
- Get creative – make a vision board, dreamcatcher, or take a nap!
- Enjoy a glass of wine or a steamy cup of hot tea.
Yoga space location ideas:
- Choose a room or area in your home where you can be undisturbed and find some quiet time.
- If you have an outdoor space and live in the sunshine state (like me), then outdoors is best.
- A flat surface is key for balancing postures and to root down into the Earth.
- A room with an abundance of natural light, we all need that vitamin D.
- Anywhere that lights your inner fire!
- Yoga Mat – I keep a lightweight, inexpensive mat outside and use my heavy-duty mat for yoga classes. If your practice is only at home, invest in a durable mat! For a yoga mat buying guide, check out my article here.
- A yoga towel for comfort, easier grip, and to absorb the sweat.
- Mexican style blanket – super inexpensive and so helpful. You can read about the benefits and uses here.
- A bolster is a beautiful prop with so many benefits – it helps open the heart, can support the low back, aids in restorative postures, helps to go deeper into postures, or it can be a pillow for afternoon naps. For step-by-step tutorial on how to use a bolster, click here.
- Meditation pillow – not necessary but a great addition if meditation and pranayama exercises are part of your yoga practice.
- A strap can aid in flexibility and making a lot of postures more accessible. Even if you are flexible, it just makes everything feel juicier.
- A set of blocks – so crucial! These babies are like flour when making dough. They help in almost any posture to feel grounded, balanced, lengthened, or relaxed. Required purchase!
- A yoga sandbag to help the body deepen and relax into postures. My favorite is to drape over the feet during legs up the wall pose – it takes all the pressure off the low back!
Space Decor Ideas:
- Lanterns of any size, shape, or color.
- Plants that are easy to take care of – both of mine require one watering per week.
- A Buddha statue – easily found at your nearest TJ Maxx or Ross.
- Incense + an incense burner or essential oils + a burner.
- Candles and more candles.
- Seashells, crystals, rocks – something nature related to ground you.
- Hanging embellishments – wind chimes, dreamcatchers, sea glass or seashell decorations.
- A portable speaker to play some soothing tunes [icon name=”music”].
- If outside, a lamp to create mood lighting & possibly bug spray.
- If inside, hang tapestries, curtains, or string lights to create an inspiring environment.
Special thanks to The Journey Junkie for this awesome article. Us here at home and Recipe will be creating our own yoga space! If you used this idea, leave a comment below with your experience.