"OFF THE BOAT" SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE
This recipe has been in my family since it was first made in a small town north of Palermo, Sicily. I am exposing this family recipe because i know it will help some people be able to continue their love for pasta and still be able to stay on their diet.
Provided by mama_mia
Yield 3-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Chop your 1/2 medium onion.
- Take a medium size pot and simmer together your chopped onions and oil over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Pour in your tomato sauce and stir well.
- let your sauce come to a boil for at least a half an hour.
- ****(Please stir frequently or your sauce will stick to the bottom of the pot and eventually burn.).
- reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in your desired amount of salt and pepper.
- cook for an additional half an hour.
- After at least an hour of cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil for your pasta.
- Let the sauce cook until pasta is drained and ready.
- Scoop some sauce into your drained pasta to coat.
- Serve with a scoop of pasta sauce ontop and enjoy!
- *You can add anything to this base pasta sauce -- we Italians sometimes will throw in cooked tender cauliflower for one dish or asparagas, or drained/fried ground beef for pasta bolognese, etc.you get the idea.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 148.5, Fat 5.2, SaturatedFat 0.7, Sodium 1597.8, Carbohydrate 25.2, Fiber 4.9, Sugar 14.1, Protein 4.3
QUICK EASY SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE
My family is Sicilian. Old world style cooking is so simple but with amazing results. The flavors this recipe has will amaze you. Nothing beats fresh ingredients.
Provided by Simply Shirley
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Peel Tomatoes, place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with oil, season with salt, pepper and sugar. Throw in oven at 450 degrees for 5-6 minutes or place on roasting pan and cook on grill.
- Dice garlic small and roast in frying pan.
- Chop Fresh Basil.
- Once Tomatoes are roasted they need to be blended. You can use a good old fashioned blender or food processor. Try not to over blend. Tomato sauce should be liquid but not blended until foamy.
- Add blended tomatoes to the pan of roasted garlic, bring to a simmer. Add chopped basil, stir.
- Add sugar and/or salt to taste. Serve over angel hair pasta or whichever kind you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 79, Fat 3.8, SaturatedFat 0.5, Sodium 591.1, Carbohydrate 11.2, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 8, Protein 1.8
SICILIAN MEAT SAUCE
People have told me this is better than the gravy their Sicilian grandmothers used to make. But don't tell the old generation that! -Emory Doty, Jasper, Georgia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 19
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork ribs in batches; transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker., Add remaining oil to Dutch oven; saute onion for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add next 11 ingredients. Pour in broth and red wine; bring to a light boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Cook, covered, until pork is tender, about 6 hours., Discard bay leaves. Remove meat from slow cooker; shred or pull apart, discarding bones. Return meat to sauce. Serve over pasta; if desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts :
SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE
My grandmother is Sicilian, so naturally this sauce was passed down from each generation to all the girls. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as my family does.
Provided by stephakneeluvstocook
Yield 3-4 cups, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oil and crushed pepper in sauce pan,add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent. Deglaze with wine, add tomatoes cushed and paste. Bring to simmer, continue to simmer for 45 minutes up to 4 hours. Add herbs, sugar, and season if needed.
- Toss with favorite pasta. Serve with grated parmesan romano and a glass of wine.
- Can also add meat/ sausage/ ribs before deglazing with wine. Or mix in a cup of ricotta and grated mozzerella and bake in 400 degree oven until bubbling and golden.
SICILIAN SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. , Stir in the tomatoes, raisins, wine, tomato paste, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. , Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Stir parsley and pine nuts into meat sauce. Drain spaghetti; top with sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 459 calories, Fat 7g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 28mg cholesterol, Sodium 1137mg sodium, Carbohydrate 74g carbohydrate (25g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 21g protein.
More about "off the boat sicilian pasta sauce food"
SICILIAN-STYLE SPAGHETTI ALLA CARRETTIERA (FRESH TOMATO AND …
4.8/5 (5)Total Time 30 minsCuisine ItalianCalories 642 per serving
10 BEST SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
6 MOST POPULAR SICILIAN SAUCES - TASTEATLAS
10 MOST POPULAR SICILIAN PASTA DISHES - TASTEATLAS
"OFF THE BOAT" SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
4/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 25 minsServings 3-4
SICILIAN PASTA RECIPE - AN ITALIAN IN MY KITCHEN
ITALIAN FOOD VS SICILIAN FOOD: WHICH ONE IS REALLY TASTIER?
21 BEST SICILIAN RECIPES
OFF THE BOAT SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE RECIPES- FOOD RECIPES
NUTRITIONAL FACTS: - FOOD.COM
OFF THE BOAT SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE RECIPES - MYRECIPEPICKS.COM
SICILIAN PASTA: THE WORLD'S MOST DELICIOUS ITALIAN PASTA
ONION AND TOMATO SAUCE RECIPES - SUPERCOOK
EQUALUTION: NUTRITION CEO WHO LOST A STAGGERING 27KG REVEALS WHAT …
You'll also love