Categories Fruit Rice Dessert Bake Lunar New Year Apricot Cherry Walnut Vegan Gourmet Vegetarian Pescatarian Dairy Free Wheat/Gluten-Free Soy Free Kosher
Yield Makes 8 dessert servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Rinse rice in a large sieve under cold running water until water runs clear, then drain. Combine rice, oil, and 2 cups cold water in cake pan.
- Put 1/2 inch of water in a 12-inch-wide pot or deep skillet. Set a metal rack (or a few metal cookie cutters) in bottom of pot, then set cake pan (with rice) on rack and bring water to a boil. Cover pot and steam over high heat, checking water level occasionally and adding more water if necessary, until rice is cooked, about 40 minutes. Carefully remove pan and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining 1 1/2 cups cold water to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan with rock sugar, jujubes, prunes, apricots, cherries, and orange peel, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until fruit is very soft and liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 45 minutes. Stir in walnuts and simmer 1 minute. Immediately drain in a medium-mesh sieve set over a bowl, reserving syrup and fruit separately. Remove walnuts from fruit and set aside.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. 3Lightly oil custard cups and a 1/3-cup measure. Put 1 walnut half in bottom of each cup, then spoon 2 tablespoons mixed fruit (per cup) on top, spreading evenly around bottom of each cup. Drizzle 1 teaspoon reserved fruit syrup over fruit in each cup, then press 1/3 cup rice (per cup) on top of fruit with dampened fingertips. Using your fingertips or back of a small spoon, make a small indentation in rice and fill with 1 teaspoon red beans (per cup), leaving at least a 1/2-inch border of rice. Drizzle 1 teaspoon fruit syrup over each rice pudding, then cover with 2 tablespoons rice (dip measuring spoon in water before measuring rice to prevent sticking). Using a small piece of plastic wrap, press rice in cups to flatten surface. Discard wrap.
- Arrange cups in roasting pan. Oil a sheet of heavy-duty foil, then cover pan with foil (oiled side down) and seal tightly. Bake in a water bath 1 hour, then let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Run a knife around edge of each cup to loosen rice, then invert each pudding onto a dish. Drizzle with remaining fruit syrup.
EIGHT-TREASURE RICE PUDDING
Here is a sticky, sweet end to a Chinese repast, and most of it can be prepared a few days ahead of time. Red-bean paste and candied fruits can be found in most Asian markets, or try the Asian-food aisle at a supermarket for lichees.
Provided by Betty Fussell
Yield Four to six servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Rinse the rice under running water, drain it and put it in a saucepan with one cup of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, lower heat and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the sugar and oil and mix well.
- Grease a three- to four-cup mold or heat-proof bowl with a little oil or shortening. Cut the fruit in thin slices and press them onto the bottom and sides of the bowl in a decorative pattern.
- Spoon half the rice over the fruit and press down to make an even layer. Spread on a layer of bean paste. Spread the remaining rice over the paste and pack down. (The rice can be refrigerated 3 or 4 days if needed).
- When ready to cook, place the mold, covered with a lid or foil, in the top of a steamer and steam the mixture for one hour.
- Make a sauce by combining the water and sugar in a saucepan. Dissolve the cornstarch in one tablespoon of water and add to the sugar water. Stir over low heat until the mixture thickens slightly. Stir in the lemon rind.
- Unmold the rice pudding onto a platter and pour the sauce over the top.
8 TREASURE RICE PUDDING
Make and share this 8 Treasure Rice Pudding recipe from Food.com.
Provided by chia2160
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Combine first 5 ingredients; arrange half of fruit mixture in an 8-inch glass bowl coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle salt over rice, and toss to combine. Spread half of rice over fruit mixture, pressing firmly with a spatula to pack. Spread almond butter over rice; drizzle with 2 tablespoons syrup. Top with remaining fruit mixture. Spread remaining rice over fruit mixture, pressing firmly with a spatula to pack. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons syrup.
- Open a small metal vegetable steamer; place steamer upside down in a large, deep wok. Add water; bring to a simmer. Wearing oven mitts, carefully place the bowl on top of inverted steamer. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Wearing oven mitts, carefully remove bowl from wok. Place a plate upside down on top of bowl; invert pudding onto plate. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 231.3, Fat 7.5, SaturatedFat 0.7, Sodium 160.5, Carbohydrate 39, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 15.8, Protein 4.1
EIGHT TREASURE SHANGHAI RICE PUDDING
This is a recipe from one of my mother's old cookbooks. I haven't tried it yet, but it's full of all kinds of neat ingredients and it looks yummy!
Provided by Recipe Junkie
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Boil rice and water on med heat.
- Boil uncovered 10 minutes or until water evaporates and you see big holes.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Fluff rice then stir in melted shortening and sugar.
- Set aside.
- Generously grease 1 quart glass bowl.
- Arrange almonds, dates, lotus seeds, red and green cherries, raisins and kumquats attractively over bottom of bowl.
- Spread half the cooked rice over decoration.
- Press down lightly.
- Spread bean paste over rice for an even layer.
- Cover with remaining rice, spreading evenly.
- Cover bowl with small damp cloth.
- Place covered bowl in steamer or on rack in wok.
- Cover with a lid and steam over gently boiling water for one hour, replenishing water when necessary.
- Meanwhile, place syrup over medium heat, swirling pan occasionally.
- Continue to cook until syrup is reduced to 1/2 c, stirring constantly.
- Keep warm.
- Just before serving, add triple sec and mix well.
- Cover mold with serving platter and invert, gently shaking to unmold.
- Pour hot syrup over mold and serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 305.5, Fat 7.4, SaturatedFat 2, Sodium 3, Carbohydrate 56.3, Fiber 1, Sugar 16.3, Protein 3.6
People also searched
More about "eight treasure rice pudding food"
EIGHT TREASURE RICE PUDDING (BA BAO FAN, 八宝饭) - RED …
5/5 (10)Category DessertServings 6Total Time 50 mins
- Rinse glutinous rice under running water. Put it into a bowl and top with water. Leave to soak overnight. Then drain well and mix with sugar.
- Deseed and slice dried fruits if necessary. If using Jujube (Chinese dates), peanuts, lotus seeds or almonds, soak in water overnight to soften. Other dried fruits and nuts can be used directly without soaking.
- Place the pudding bowl into a steamer basket or onto a steamer rack. Fill the wok/pot with water. Leave to steam over medium heat for 50 mins. Don’t forget to check the water level in the wok/pot halfway through in case it dries out.
EIGHT TREASURE RICE (八宝饭, CHINESE RICE PUDDING)
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory DessertCalories 284 per serving
EIGHT TREASURE RICE PUDDING CHINESE NEW YEAR DISH
25 TRADITIONAL CHINESE DESSERTS - INSANELY GOOD
EIGHT TREASURES RICE PUDDING (八宝饭) – YAN CAN COOK
EIGHT TREASURE RICE | THE COOK UP | JENEVIEVE CHANG | SBS FOOD
SWEET TREATS TO RING IN CHINESE NEW YEAR | CBC NEWS
CHINESE DESSERT RECIPE | RECIPE: CHINESE EIGHT-TREASURE RICE …
EIGHT-TREASURE RICE PUDDING.MP4 | RICE PUDDING, TRADITIONAL FOOD ...
THE BEST DESSERTS FOR CHINESE LUNAR NEW YEAR - THE SPRUCE EATS
EIGHT TREASURE RICE (八宝饭, CHINESE RICE PUDDING) DESSERT
| INPHO | FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED …
EIGHT TREASURES RICE PUDDING RECIPE - FOOD.COM
EIGHT TREASURE RICE PUDDING - GASTRO OBSCURA
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What does eight treasure rice pudding taste like?Made of glutinous rice, dried fruits, nuts and red bean paste, it tastes sticky, gooey, sweet, aromatic and nutty. I often think it resembles Zongzi (sticky rice dumplings) in texture and flavour, yet it’s much easier to make. Eight treasure rice pudding consists of three components: glutinous rice, toppings and a filling.
How to cook eight-treasure rice?Eight-Treasure Rice is a traditional Chinese festival dish. Soak the glutinous rice overnight in water. Before steaming, drain all the water and add about 3 tbsp of water to the rice. Steam for 30 minutes with the lid on. Soak the lotus seeds and dried dates in warm water for at least 2 hours. You can do this one day in advance.
What is Chinese eight Treasury rice?Chinese Eight Treasury Rice aka babaofan is a special sweet rice dish enjoyed during holiday meals such as Chinese New Year dinner. For more Chinese New Year Recipe, please check out my FREE Chinese New Year Cookbook. Happy Chinese New Year, the Year of Dragon!
What are the treasures in a Chinese dessert?Instead, the treasures in this dessert are eight different types of dried fruit and nuts, arranged like jewels atop steamed, sweet rice. The dessert is part of a long tradition of dishes centered around the number 8 (eight, or ba, sounds a lot like fa , the Chinese word for prosperity ).