GRANDMA BROWN'S BEANS
Grandma Brown's canned baked beans are available in the northeast USA but not common elsewhere. They are very simple with only 6 ingredients named on the can. This is a process to recreate them faithfully. Note that these beans are not tomato based, they are thick not saucy, and they are only mildly sweet. The final product either from the can or from the recipe is easily modified to your taste by adding bacon, tomato ketchup, brown sugar, spices. But they are great the way they are. They taste like beans!
Provided by ks100
Yield 10 cups, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda to 6 cups water.
- bring water to a boil.
- sort through beans for debris.
- add navy beans to water.
- boil 10 minutes.
- turn off heat.
- cover pot.
- let sit overnight.
- rinse beans well.
- add beans and all other ingredients to oven proof pot with tight fitting lid.
- stir well.
- add water until beans are just covered.
- cover pot with lid.
- bake 5 to 6 hours at 300°F.
- every hour stir and add water to cover if beans are drying out.
- final product should be a thick and not runny.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 161.6, Fat 1.3, SaturatedFat 0.3, Cholesterol 7.4, Sodium 994.3, Carbohydrate 28.7, Fiber 7.9, Sugar 9.2, Protein 9.4
OLD FASHIONED BAKED BEANS
- Bring 10 cups water and navy beans to a boil in a large pot; cook at a boil for 2 minutes. Stir bacon, onion, brown sugar, molasses, and salt into the water.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a slow cooker.
- Cook on High, stirring occasionally, for 4 hours.
- Stir 3 cups water into the mixture. Continue cooking until beans are tender, about 2 hours 15 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 242.1 calories, Carbohydrate 42.7 g, Cholesterol 8 mg, Fat 3.7 g, Fiber 10.2 g, Protein 10.7 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 416.9 mg, Sugar 15.9 g
GRANDMA'S BAKED BEANS
- 1. Soak beans overnight. In the morning boil over a low heat for 30 minutes. Adding water to cover if necessary.
- 2. Take 1/2 cup of the bean liquid and dissolve the dry mustard, white sugar and brown sugar. Add to the beans.
- 3. Add the following to the beans. Molasses, salt and ketsup.
- 4. In a dutch oven place the onion and most of the pork cubes in the bottom. Pour in the bean mixture.
- 5. place the remaining pork cubes on top.
- 6. Bake at 325 degrees for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- Rough chop the garlic, carrot, serrano and onion into small pieces. Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped vegetables and 1 teaspoon cumin to the pot and cook until the onion starts to brown.
- Strain the beans and add them to the pot. Pour in enough water to just cover the beans. Cover and bring them to a boil. Stir, then cover again and lower to a simmer. Simmer the beans until they start to burst, around 1 hour.
- Uncover the pot and add the orange, squeezing the juice into the pot and then dropping the halves in. Stir in the remaining teaspoon cumin and the salt. Continue to simmer to allow the beans to thicken, about 45 minutes more. Add more cumin and salt to taste.
- Serve as a side dish, over rice, or on their own on a taco.
GRANDMA PINDUR'S BAKED BEANS
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pre-cook bacon in large frying pan until fat is rendered and lightly brown about 5 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a baking or cassrole dish. Cover with lid or tin foil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 411.4, Fat 17.7, SaturatedFat 5.8, Cholesterol 25.7, Sodium 575.4, Carbohydrate 50.9, Fiber 8.2, Sugar 25, Protein 14.3
GRANDMA'S OLD FASHION BAKED BEANS
- 1. Night before go threw beans and soak over night.
- 2. In a large pot boil ham hocks and beans and onion use enough water to just cover hocks.
- 3. After coming to boil turn down and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat.
- 4. Take hock out , remove meat from hocks and cut in small pieces.
- 5. Drain beans and onion saving about 1 1/2 cups of broth.
- 6. Put ham , beans, and onion in large casserole dish.
- 7. Mix together rest of ingredience add to beans, ham, and onion.
- 8. Add saved broth a little at a time stirring well.
- 9. Bake in 350 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
More about "grandmas baked beans food"
GRANDMA LUCY'S BAKED BEANS RECIPE — BLESS THIS MESS
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Open up your pork and beans, and drain off about 2/3 of the liquid. Don’t use a strainer; you do want some liquid left. (I normally just place the lid that I just used a can opener to open back inside the can, tip the can over while holding down the metal “lid,” and let it drain for about 10 seconds.)
- Chop the raw bacon up into small pieces. Place it in a hot skillet that has been heated over medium-high heat. Cook until well done and very crispy. Use a slotted spoon remove the cooked bacon, and place it on a paper towel-lined plate. Leave extra bacon grease in the skillet.
- Keep the skillet on the hot burner, and add the bell pepper and onion. Cook the vegetables in the bacon grease until tender, about 8 minutes.
CROCK-POT GRANDMA’S FAMOUS BAKED BEANS RECIPE
3.3/5 Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
GRANDMA'S OLD FASHIONED BAKED BEANS - THE BEST OF THIS LIFE
10 BEST GRANDMA BROWN BAKED BEANS RECIPES | YUMMLY
GRANDMA GWEN'S BEANS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
4.5/5 (8)Total Time 2 hrs 5 minsServings 10
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook bacon, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving desired amount of drippings in skillet. (We reserved about 3 Tbsp.) Crumble bacon.
- Sauté onions in hot drippings over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Add brown sugar and next 4 ingredients. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Combine butter beans, next 3 ingredients, bacon, and onion mixture in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
GRANDMA'S REAL SOUTHERN BAKED BEANS – MUST LOVE HOME
- Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees. Then heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon to the hot skillet and fry the bacon until it is almost crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate and cut the slices in half.
- DO NOT pour out the bacon grease. In the same skillet you used for the bacon, fry the onions, stirring them around in the bacon grease until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain off most of the fat from the onions and set the skillet aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cans of great northern beans and the pork and beans. To the beans add the cooked onion and bacon, and the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour the bean mixture into a very large baking dish, or two 9 x 13 foil baking pans. Place the pans on the center rack of the oven and bake for 1 -1/2 hours. Cool the beans slightly before serving.
GRANDMA KIRK'S BAKED BEANS RECIPE - PAUL KIRK | FOOD & WINE
- Put the beans in a large enameled cast-iron casserole and add enough water to cover by 1/2 inch. Bring to a simmer and cook until the skins on the beans curl up when you blow on them, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Stir the onion, garlic, molasses, brown sugar, soy sauce, salt, Worcestershire and mustard into the beans, then nestle in the bacon. Cover and bake for 3 hours, until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to cover the beans by 1/2 inch.
- Stir in the Burnt Ends (if using), then bake the beans uncovered about 1 1/2 hours longer, until richly browned on top. Remove the bacon piece, chop into cubes and return to the beans before serving.
GRANDMA'S SECRET TO ULTIMATE BAKED BEANS - BLESSED BEYOND ...
Servings 2Total Time 1 hrCategory Sides And Sauces
GRANDMA'S BAKED BEANS - EASY BAKED BEANS RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
SLOW COOKER BOSTON BAKED BEANS - GRANDMA'S MOLASSES®
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
GRANDMA'S BAKED BEANS | DESSERT NOW, DINNER LATER!
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
EASY BAKED BEANS - GRANDMA'S MOLASSES®
Estimated Reading Time 30 secs
CROCK-POT GRANDMA'S FAMOUS BAKED BEANS | HOMEMADE BAKED ...
3.3/5 (34K)Servings 12
GRANDMA BROWN'S BAKED BEANS - HOME COOKING - CHOWHOUND
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
EASY BAKED BEANS - GRANDMA'S SIMPLE RECIPES
RECIPE - MY GRANDMA'S BAKED BEANS! – GRILL SERGEANT
GRANDMA BROWNS BAKED BEANS RECIPE - TFRECIPES.COM
GRANDMA'S BAKED BEANS | BAKED BEANS RECIPE - POSITIVELY JANE
BAKED BEANS GRANDMA BROWN - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
GRANDMA’S BAKED BEANS | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE ...
GRANDMAS BAKED BEANS RECIPES WITH INGREDIENTS,NUTRITIONS ...
GRANDMA DUMENEY'S BAKED BEANS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
You'll also love