Here is a good recipe for stewed tomatoes that I have on my site. This is a good way to use up the remaining tomatoes you may have on your vines!
Provided by ann joy
Yield 1 batch
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Peel the tomatoes by soaking them in boiling water for one minute. Gently pull away the skin.
- Place tomatoes in a large pot and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and boil gently for 15 minutes, until tomatoes are tender.
- Serve with croutons.
- I like my stewed tomatoes with toast and butter.
- Whenever I am sick, this is the dish I crave! The above recipe is from the book out of print cookbook "cajun country cookin" by John and Glenna Uhler Enjoy!
EASY FREEZER-READY HOMEMADE STEWED TOMATOES
Fresh peeled tomatoes may be used in place of canned, just slightly blanch in boiling water firstly for a couple minutes then peel and chop before using in this recipe, this is great to have handy in the freezer ready to use in any recipe, and much better than the canned stuff. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. Great to use in stews, casseroles, sauces or any recipe calling for stewed tomatoes, this is even good added to homemade pasta sauce. This is just a basic recipe, to this I like to add in a couple tablespoons tomato paste and a few drops of Tabasco sauce, just to kick it up a bit, all ingredient amounts may be adjusted to suit taste.
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Yield 5 cups
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil (except the water and cornstarch)breaking up the tomatoes slightly with a fork.
- Adjust salt and sugar to taste.
- Simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cornstarch/water mix and simmer for another 15 minutes (if you want a thicker consistency add in more cornstarch mixed with water).
- Cool and divide into freezer-safe containers.
SIMPLE STEWED TOMATOES
Another one of those days when I needed some stewed tomatoes, and had none. Came up with this and they turned out great. You can use as much or as little of the listed ingredients as desired along with the canned tomatoes. I simmer until the veggies are tender and the liquid is reduced and thick. Goes great over a pile of my Recipe #282180 and steamed broccoli.
Provided by Chicagoland Chef du
Categories Low Protein
Yield 2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Simmer until desired tenderness and thickness of sauce, about 30 minutes or longer.
- Taste for additional seasonings.
- Remove bay leaf.
JERSEY FRESH STEWED TOMATOES
- Combine tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, and celery in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat and cook until green bell pepper and onion are soft, about 5 minutes more. Stir in sugar, salt, oregano, basil, and pepper.
- Whisk water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Stir into the skillet. Simmer tomato mixture until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 37 calories, Carbohydrate 8.2 g, Fat 0.3 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 1.5 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 159.1 mg, Sugar 5 g
This fast and yummy side is so easy to make, it will be ready in no time. It is good way to use some of your garden-fresh tomatoes.-Myra Innes, Auburn, Kansas
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 3-4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a 1-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the tomatoes, sugar, butter, seasoned salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the tomato mixture. Cover and cook 1 minute longer or until thickened and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts :
ITALIAN STYLE STEWED TOMATOES
- X the bottom of tomatoes and place 8 in boiling bath of water for about 15 to 30 seconds or until the skin starts to lift up. Then place in ice filled water bath immediately after you take them out.
- Peel and quarter tomatoes. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add onions, peppers, and celery stir till oil gets on all veggies.
- Add Vinegar.
- Add spices and sugar, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Wash canning jars and lids.
- Place lids in warm but not boiling water to soften the rubber.
- Boil water in large pot to place jars into seal.
- Boil in bath for 20 minutes then remove tighten lids and flip on their tops.
- After 15 minutes flip back and they should be sealed. If not sealed repeat bath.
- Store in cool place.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 556, Fat 30.2, SaturatedFat 4.6, Sodium 3569.8, Carbohydrate 73.4, Fiber 22.7, Sugar 29.6, Protein 13.2
People also searched
More about "homemade stewed tomatoes food"
BASIC HOMEMADE STEWED TOMATOES RECIPE - THE SPRUCE …
4.2/5 (173)Total Time 30 minsCategory Side Dish, Entree, IngredientCalories 40 per serving
10 BEST OLD FASHIONED STEWED TOMATOES RECIPES
THE BEST STEWED TOMATOES EVER - EASY HOMEMADE RECIPE …
SOUTHERN STEWED TOMATOES RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS …
STEWED TOMATOES WITH BREAD RECIPE RECIPES - STEVEHACKS
15 AMERICAN CHOP SUEY WITH STEWED TOMATOES - SELECTED RECIPES
CANNED STEWED TOMATOES RECIPE - OLD WORLD GARDEN FARMS
YUMMY STEWED TOMATOES RECIPE - FOOD.COM
21 RECIPES WITH STEWED TOMATOES AND GROUND BEEF
CANNING STEWED TOMATOES - LADY LEE'S HOME
HOW TO COOK STEWED TOMATOES? - TEST FOOD KITCHEN
STEWED TOMATOES RECIPE - FOOD.COM
SOUP RECIPES WITH GROUND BEEF AND KIDNEY BEANS AND STEWED …
OLD-FASHIONED STEWED TOMATOES RECIPE | EDIBLE PIEDMONT
STEWED CHERRY TOMATOES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
OLD FASHIONED STEWED TOMATOES - THESE OLD COOKBOOKS
You'll also love