- To make toasted rice, place rice in a dry hot wok; swirl until golden brown, allow to cool, then grind in a mortar& pestle or spice mill.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in wok and add the chicken; stir-fry until cooked through.
- Drain chicken and place in mixing bowl, adding lemongrass, green onion, red onion, galangal, fish sauce, lime juice, chiles, and ground rice; mix well and set aside.
- On a bed of lettuce leaves, arrange chicken mixture and garnish with mint and cilantro.
- Serve with steamed sticky rice or steamed jasmine rice, using small amounts of rice to pick up the larb.
THAI CHICKEN LARB
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook and stir until chicken is broken into little pieces, about 5 minutes. Add red onion and scallions. Continue to cook and break up the chicken until browned, about 2 minutes. Add cilantro, mint, ginger, lemon grass, fish sauce, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until flavors blend, about 3 minutes more. Season with sea salt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 165.4 calories, Carbohydrate 6.2 g, Cholesterol 69.2 mg, Fat 3.8 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 26.2 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 594.8 mg, Sugar 1.7 g
- Put minced chicken in a pot with water to cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat to low, and simmer a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until done. Meanwhile put rice in a wok or skillet over high heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until it is evenly brown but not burned. Place in grinder and grind to a powder.
- In a bowl, combine chicken, rice powder, nam pla, lime juice, sugar, and chile; taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Make a bed of romaine leaves on a platter and spoon chicken mixture into middle. Top with remaining ingredients and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 409, UnsaturatedFat 14 grams, Carbohydrate 23 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 29 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 810 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams, TransFat 0 grams
Larb gai (Thai chicken salad) is a dish made with ground chicken, chiles, mint and basil. Serve as a main dish or as an appetizer in lettuce cups. For a heartier version, serve it with rice. -Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking it into crumbles; drain. In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and chiles; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the cooked chicken, lime juice, fish sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar and Sriracha. Cook and stir until heated through. Stir in cilantro and mint. Serve with rice and, if desired, lettuce leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 262 calories, Fat 16g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 75mg cholesterol, Sodium 1211mg sodium, Carbohydrate 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 20g protein.
THAI LARB GAI (CHICKEN WITH LIME, CHILI AND FRESH HERBS)
Larb gai is a dish of browned ground chicken, mint, basil and red onions dressed with lime juice and ground red chiles that's popular in Laos and Isan, neighboring rural sections of Thailand. (The dish is sometimes spelled laab, lob or lop.) It's perfect hot weather food: spicy, crunchy and light, but rich in flavors and contrasts. Traditionally, this dish is made with a roasted rice powder that's prepared by toasting raw rice in a wok, then grounding it to a powder, but you can find premade roasted rice powder at Asian markets. Whatever you do, don't skip it - it adds a nuttiness that's essential to the authentic flavor of the dish.
Provided by Julia Moskin
Categories dinner, quick, salads and dressings
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- To make roasted rice powder, heat a wok or skillet over high heat. Add raw rice and cook, stirring often, until rice is toasted and dark brown, but not black, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside to cool. Grind to a coarse powder in a mortar, blender or coffee grinder; set aside.
- To cook chicken, heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. When very hot, add 2 tablespoons water, then add chicken, stirring constantly to break up any lumps. Cook just until cooked through, about two minutes, then transfer to mixing bowl. While chicken is just warm, add remaining ingredients (except for garnishes) and roasted rice powder. Mix gently but thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings. Mixture should be tangy, salty and lightly spicy.
- Spoon onto serving plate and surround with mint, lettuce and cucumber. Serve with rice. If serving with sticky rice, pinch some off, mold into a small ball and dip into larb, scooping up a little of each ingredient. Or scoop larb into lettuce leaves.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 199, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 8 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 15 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 375 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
People also searched
More about "larb chicken food"
BASIC CHICKEN LARB (LARB GAI) RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
3.7/5 (9)Author Kris YenbamroongServings 4Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Roast chiles in a dry wok over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they turn a deep, dark crimson (almost brown) and give off a sweet and earthy smell (not burnt). The process shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes, but it pays to be vigilant in making sure they toast evenly and slowly.
- Remove from heat and let sit until cool enough to handle. Transfer to a food processor, blender, or spice grinder and grind until slightly finer than the crushed red pepper you’d find at a pizza shop. Be careful not to breathe in any chile dust when you remove the lid.
- Do Ahead: Chile powder can be made 3 months ahead. Store in a sealed container in a cool, dry place.
- Cook rice in a dry wok over medium heat, stirring occasionally at first, then more frequently as it browns. Once you smell the toasting rice, stir in galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves. Continue to cook until rice develops a deep amber-golden hue, about the same color as brown rice, 15–20 minutes. Let cool.
CHICKEN LARB RECIPE | LEMON BLOSSOMS
Ratings 12Calories 236 per servingCategory Main Course, Salad
- Heat a wok or medium size skillet over high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chiles, shallots and garlic and cook stirring for about 1 - 2 minutes or until the shallots become translucent.
- Add the ground chicken and cook for about 4 - 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove from the heat and add the scallions, onions and the Larb sauce. Toss to combine. Stir in the cilantro and mint.
THAI LARB RECIPE (LARB MOO ลาบหมู) - AUTHENTIC THAI STYLE
THAI LARB RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
THAI CHICKEN LARB RECIPE - BBC FOOD
LARB RECIPE - FOOD.COM
FRIED CHICKEN LARB RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Pepper TeigenSteps 2Difficulty Easy
CHICKEN LARB – BACKPACKER'S PANTRY
CHICKEN LARB RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN LARB — THE MOM 100
HOW TO MAKE EASY AUTHENTIC CHICKEN LARB GAI RECIPE - COOKING …
COOKING FOR A CROWD? CHICKEN AND CHARRED MUSHROOM LARB IS THE …
CHICKEN LARB (THAI LARB GAI) | SO MUCH FOOD
LAO CHICKEN LARB | THE COOK UP | ADAM LIAW | SBS FOOD
LARB (LAAB) - AUTHENTIC THAI AND LAOTIAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT PORK (OR CHICKEN, DUCK OR TOFU) LARB – RECIPE
LARB CHICKEN – THAI FOOD & TAPAS - LARBTHAITAPAS.COM
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #appetizers #main-dish #poultry #asian #thai #dinner-party #chicken #spicy #stir-fry #meat #taste-mood #technique
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is chicken larb?The version featured here is chicken larb or larb gai. As mentioned earlier, the meat in a larb recipe may be raw or cooked. As in many Thai and Southeast Asian dishes in general like Vietnamese summer rolls, fresh herbs such as mint or cilantro are an important component of larb.
What is larb and how do you eat it?Eat it with: Larb is a Thai Isaan dish, normally eaten along with a side of Thai green papaya salad (som tam) and a plate of steamed Thai sticky rice. Like I mention in all my Thai recipes, Thai food is very much a taste-test based cuisine. So please use the ingredients listed in this larb recipe as a guide, but not as exact instruction.
How do you make chicken larbito?Found this through Carnie Wilson, she calls it chicken larbito, although in Thai restaurants it's just called larb. Delicious! Enjoy on lettuce wraps or pieces of a cabbage wedge! Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook and stir until chicken is broken into little pieces, about 5 minutes. Add red onion and scallions.
What is a larb salad made of?Larb is a delicious Thai and Laotian salad composed of ground meat, lime juice, fish sauce, shallots, herbs, chili powder and toasted ground sticky rice. In a dry skillet, toast the rice over medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir regularly so the rice turns light brown and not brown.