PERFECT POT ROAST
Cooking meats, I have to confess, isn't my specialty. But everyone who tastes this main-course dish wants more! I'm a mostly at-home mom. I like to sew and read. I also enjoy gardening-we grow a good-sized patch, and it's so nice to have fresh-picked tomatoes and spinach when I make salads.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8-10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Combine first four ingredients; rub onto roast. In a skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in a roasting pan. Add water, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender. , Remove and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan juices. Measure juices and transfer to a saucepan. , For each cup of juices, combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water; mix well. Stir flour mixture into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast.
Nutrition Facts :
SIMPLE PERFECT POT ROAST
This is the Cook's Illustrated recipe, but it tastes exactly like Mom's recipe. She used to put it in the oven before we went to church, and then served it with hot rolls and a crisp salad.
Provided by PanNan
Categories Roast Beef
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300°F.
- Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke, 8- 10 minutes.
- Transfer roast to a large plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6- 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and beef broths and thyme, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- Return roast and any accumulated juices to pot; add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast.
- Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat, then cover tightly and transfer pot to oven.
- Cook, turning roast every 30 minutes until fully tender and meat fork slips in and out of meat very easily (3 1/2- 4 hours).
- Transfer roast to carving board, tent with foil to keep warm.
- Allow liquid in pot to settle about 5 minutes, then use wide spoon to skim fat off surface; discard thyme sprig.
- Boil over high heat until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 8 minutes.
- Add red wine and reduce again to 1 1/2 cups, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut meat into 1/2 inch slices, or pull apart in pieces; transfer meat to warmed serving platter and pour about 1/2 cup sauce over meat.
- Serve, passing remaining sauce.
- Note: Can add small red potatoes and sliced carrots and/or parsnips about 45 minutes before roast is finished.
PERFECT POT ROAST (SLOW-COOKER)
Quick and easy in the crockpot. A juicy roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. I like to thicken the pan juices with cornstarch to make a tasty gravy to serve with this meal.
Provided by Tee Lee
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Place roast into crockpot and surround with vegetables.
- Combine beef broth and vegetable soup mix, then add to crockpot.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours.
PERFECT POT ROAST
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Combine the salt, pepper, and ground fennel in a small bowl. Generously season the roast with the spice mixture.
- Add enough oil to a large Dutch oven to coat the bottom. Heat it over medium-high heat, add the roast, and sear 8 to 10 minutes total, turning to brown all sides. Transfer the roast to a bowl.
- Add the carrots, onions, and garlic and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until browned, 5 to 8 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove the vegetables and place in a clean bowl.
- Deglaze the pot with 1 cup of the cider. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat. Add 2 cups of the broth and bring it to a boil again.
- Add 4 sprigs of the thyme, the rosemary, bay leaf, and roast to the pot (reserving the vegetables in the bowl). Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot, place it in the oven, and roast for 2 hours. Add the reserved vegetables and roast for 1 more hour, until the roast is fork-tender but not mushy.
- Remove the roast and vegetables to a large bowl or platter and cover to keep warm. Let the braising liquid cool slightly, then strain the liquid into a bowl (discard the solids).
- Skim off any fat that has risen to the top.
- Purée the braising liquid in a blender.
- To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine with the oil. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cider and the tomato paste and mix well.
- Return the braising liquid to the pot along with the remaining 1 1/2 cups beef broth and the remaining 2 thyme sprigs. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the thyme sprigs.
- To serve, slice the pot roast, arrange the vegetables around it, and pour the sauce over the top.
- Variations: Tipsy Pot Roast
- In many pot roast recipes, there is an element of alcohol. In mine, I use hard cider, but you can also try red wine, a heavy beer, or-for your Irish friends-Guinness. The booze gives the meat an extra dimension but won't get the family hammered.
PERFECT PRESSURE COOKER POT ROAST
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat with the lid open. Brown the roast on all sides in the hot oil.
- In a small cup or bowl, mix together the Italian salad dressing mix, Ranch dressing mix, and gravy mix. Sprinkle them evenly over the roast. Pour in the beef broth and add the chopped onion.
- Seal and lock pressure cooker, and cook over high heat to build pressure until the indicator sounds (mine whistles). Turn heat down to medium, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Run under cold water to help release the pressure before unsealing the lid. You can use the juices as an au jus, or thicken with flour or cornstarch to make a yummy gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 442.9 calories, Carbohydrate 10.6 g, Cholesterol 103.5 mg, Fat 30.8 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 28.1 g, SaturatedFat 11.1 g, Sodium 1644 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
PERFECT POT ROAST
Feed your family with Ree Drummond's Perfect Pot Roast recipe from Food Network. Fresh rosemary and thyme add rich, herbal resonance to this hearty roast.
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast.
- Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
- Throw the carrots into the same very hot pot and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so. Reserve the carrots with the onions.
- If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pot. Place the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
- With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Place the roast back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add in the onions and the carrots, along with the fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on, then roast for 3 hours for a 3-pound roast. For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours. The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.
More about "perfect pot roast food"
THE PERFECT CROCK POT ROAST - RECIPES THAT CROCK!
Ratings 145Calories 586 per servingCategory Main
- Place your roast in your 6- quart crock pot (I used my Hamilton Beach Programmable Insulated Slow Cooker.)
BEST ROAST BEEF RECIPE - HOW TO COOK PERFECT ROAST BEEF IN ...
5/5 (35)Total Time 3 hrs 10 mins
- Roast for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325° and roast 1 hours 45 minutes more for medium, or 2 hours for medium well done.
PERFECT POT ROAST - LIFE MADE SIMPLE
4.9/5 (24)Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanTotal Time 4 hrs 10 mins
- Meanwhile, generously salt and pepper both sides of the chuck roast. When the oil is hot, add the roast and brown both sides, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the roast to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the oil to the pot. Add the carrots, onion and potatoes. Cook the vegetables until they begin to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the beef broth, water, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, roasted garlic, thyme and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
PERFECT POT ROAST - RECIPES THAT CROCK!
5/5 (1)Category MainServings 6Total Time 2 hrs 10 mins
THE PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE FOR THE SLOW COOKER
4.2/5 (50)Total Time 5 hrs 20 minsCategory Entree, DinnerCalories 859 per serving
OUR 20 BEST POT ROAST RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Author Mary Claire Lagroue
PERFECT POT ROAST - STONEGABLE
Servings 8Total Time 3 hrs 35 minsEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
PERFECT POT ROAST AND GRAVY - MOM ON TIMEOUT
Reviews 22Calories 460 per servingCategory Entree
- Combine flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
MELT IN YOUR MOUTH POT ROAST RECIPE (MADE 3 WAYS!) | THE ...
5/5 (1)Calories 566 per servingCategory Dinner, Main Course
- In a large cast iron skillet heat the olive oil on medium high heat until it starts smoking. Salt and pepper each side of the roast and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side to give it a dark brown crust.
- Press the sauté button on the instant pot and wait for it to say "HOT". Add in the olive oil. Salt and pepper the beef and slice the beef in half if it doesn't fit. Working in batches, sear on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large cast iron skillet heat the olive oil on medium high heat until it starts smoking. Salt and pepper each side of the roast and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side to give it a dark brown crust.
BEST POT ROAST RECIPE - PIONEER WOMAN POT ROAST
5/5 (20)Category Main Dish, MeatServings 10Total Time 4 hrs 20 mins
PERFECT POT ROAST (SO TENDER & FLAVORFUL!) - SPEND WITH ...
5/5 (135)Total Time 4 hrs 35 minsCategory Beef, Dinner, Entree, Main CourseCalories 579 per serving
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the roast on each side until browned, about 4 minutes per side adding more oil if needed.
- Arrange onions around the roast. Combine wine, broth, rosemary, garlic, and thyme. Pour over the roast. Add bay leaf.
PERFECT POT ROAST WITH POT ROAST GRAVY - SIMPLY SATED
4.1/5 (113)Total Time 4 hrs 20 minsCategory Entree, Meat Dish
- Heat olive oil and butter in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place the halved onions in the pot. Brown onions on both sides, remove them from the heat to a large plate.
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE - SELF PROCLAIMED FOODIE
5/5 (6)Total Time 4 hrs 50 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 660 per serving
- Get a dutch oven nice and hot over medium high heat. Pat dry the chuck roast, then cover both sides with the first teaspoon of kosher salt. Add the oil to the dutch oven and when it gets nice and hot, sear both sides of the meat until deeply browned, about 10 minutes per side.
- Remove the meat from the dutch oven and transfer to a plate. Add the butter to the dutch oven and melt over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits that pay have stuck to the pot. Once melted, add the flour, stir, and allow to brown for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the onion dip mix and stir. Add the beef stock and the red wine. Allow to come to a boil, stirring occasionally and scraping any bits that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Once the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and add the meat along with any of the juices from the plate along with the remaining salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves to the dutch oven. Cover tightly with lid and cook in preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn the beef over in the pot and add the carrots and potatoes, pushing them down into the liquid as much as possible. Cover the dutch oven and continue to cook, stirring the vegetables once, for 1 to 1 1/2 more hours, until the vegetables are tender.
PERFECT POT ROAST AND GRAVY RECIPE | MEL'S KITCHEN CAFE
4.5/5 (116)Category BeefServings 8Total Time 8 hrs 15 mins
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE | COOK THE BOOK - SERIOUS EATS
4.4/5 (5)Servings 6
THE PERFECT SOUTHERN POT ROAST RECIPE
4.2/5 (82)Total Time 3 hrs 45 minsCategory Entree, DinnerCalories 570 per serving
THE PERFECT BAKED POT ROAST RECIPE IN THE OVEN • CHRISTINA ...
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
REE DRUMMOND'S PERFECT POT ROAST | FOOD NETWORK
PERFECT POT ROAST | CANADIAN LIVING
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPES
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #very-low-carbs #main-dish #beef #dietary #low-carb #low-in-something #meat #roast-beef #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love